Nebula is smart, thoughtful videos from your favorite education-y creators. New videos, back catalog, and Nebula Originals.
Video service algorithms reward videos that are easy to click on, easy to watch, and easy to share, because that’s what makes them money. Because of that, when we want to make things that are different — when we want to try something new — the algorithm gets scared and buries the video. It’s designed to keep us in our lane.
So we created Nebula, a streaming video platform that we control, so we can use it to try new things, explore new formats, and share more behind the scenes content.
• Exclusive Nebula Originals every month
• Follow your favorite creators
• Get notifications when your favorites release a new video
• Be the first to see new videos
• Download videos to watch offline
• Coming soon: even more ways to directly support the creators you love
Releasing new versions every about 1 month, on average.
• Look everyone, keyboard shortcuts for the iPad video player!
We wore masks while we worked on these updates.
• Manuel found a bug in My Shows where a channel doesn’t get properly updated upon refresh. We fixed it.
We're close to the finish line with the Apple TV app, but wanted to sneak out a quick update:
• Support for subtitles. We're still adding them to the videos, but our app is ready.
This update is boring. Just a quick fix to help people log out of their account in some circumstances. Sorry to get your hopes up, but don't worry, fun stuff is still on the way.
Assorted bug fixes and improvements. Just kidding; here's what we actually did:
• Every Original in the Originals row had the word "Original" so we removed it because it's like okay, we get it, there are lots of Originals.
• There's now a list of Originals right up at the top of the Featured view.
Assorted bug fixes and improvements. Just kidding; here’s what we actually did:
• There’s now a list of Originals right up at the top of the Featured view.
Hello darkness, my old friend.
• Dark mode. Total smoke show. You can manually toggle it in settings.
We’ve also dropped iOS 12 support so we can focus on new features. Sorry, iPhone 5 users.
Merry Christmas, ya filthy animals. We wanted to get a few fixes and improvements out before we hit the egg nog. New in this release:
iPad Support is Here
By pitchforks-and-torches levels of popular demand, Nebula now supports iPadOS. Enjoy your favorite Nebula Originals on your favorite tablet.
Also new in 1.4:
• Fixed a nasty cache bug which led to "no videos found" on the Featured view.
A couple of secret features:
We're working on more, but we wanted to hurry up and ship the iPad version before things got ugly. Thanks for your support, everyone. Enjoy.
We’re planning for a future we can’t tell you about. Look, it’s not in our nature to be mysterious, but we can’t talk about it and we can’t talk about why.
Bug fixes and performance improvements. Yeah, yeah, every app update says that. So instead of being vague, here's what we actually did:
• Moved sync operations off of the main thread, which was blocking the UI from loading quickly.
We have lots of big content stuff coming up, so we wanted to fortify the app a little to support it all.
• You can now browse and purchase creator merchandise from within the app.
The next update will likely include more performance and merch improvements, especially around API calls and speeding things up on slow networks. And maybe a surprise or two. Stay tuned!
Wow, launch weekend has been amazing. Thank you to everyone for the kind words, feature requests, and bug reports. Please keep them coming.
• Improved contrast in the tab bar
Up next: improved merch support and some fancy new UI
Click to see more