About & Pics
*** Star Chart is now FREE! *** The top educational & augmented reality astronomy app - download and find out why over 20 million people use Star Chart!
You can now have a virtual star chart in your pocket. Look through the eyes of your iPhone or iPad* to see a high-tech window into the whole visible universe.
All you have to do is point your AR enabled device* at the sky and Star Chart will tell you exactly what you are looking at.
Using state of the art GPS technology, an accurate 3D simulation of the visible universe, and a great deal of technical wizardry, Star Chart calculates – in real time - the current location of every star, planet and moon visible from Earth and shows you precisely where they are; even in broad daylight!
Want to know what that bright star is called? Point your device* at it – you might just find out it’s a planet!
Want to know what the night sky looks like to people on the other side of the earth? Well just point your device down!
Want to know where your star sign is in the sky? Star Chart will tell you all this and more.
Star Charts features include:
- Just point and view. When you hold your device up to the sky, Star Chart will automatically start tracking your movements to match the sky *.
- Alternatively, look around the sky using finger gestures – perfect for armchair astronomers!
- In a single app of less than 30MB, Star Chart dynamically scales its visuals and capabilities across all iOS devices to meet the high end capabilities of a retina display iPad while also running smoothly on the earliest iPhones and iPods.
- Accurately depicts all the visible stars of the northern and southern hemispheres - a total of approximately 120,000 stars!
- Fly to and explore all the planets of the solar system, their moons and the sun all rendered in beautiful 3D with state of the art visual effects.
- Using the powerful Time Shift feature, simply tap the time button and smoothly shift up to 10,000 years forward or backward in time.
- Displays all 88 constellations, with constellation imagery based on the beautiful artwork by 17th century astronomer Johannes Hevelius.
- Includes the complete Messier catalogue of 110 exotic deep sky objects.
- Tap on anything in the sky and get the facts on what you are looking at, including distance and brightness.
- Very powerful zoom function, lets you view the sky in extra detail, using intuitive finger gestures.
- Fully configurable. Star Chart displays only the sky objects that you are interested in.
- Allows you to view the sky underneath the horizon. So now you can see where the sun is, even at night!
- Manually set your location to find out what the sky looks like from anywhere in the world.
- Supports dynamic device orientation viewing. Allows you to view the night sky whilst holding your iPhone/iPad* at any angle.
So point your iPhone/iPad* at the sky and see what's out there!
* Augmented Reality mode is available on devices that include a built-in compass. Manual scrolling is supported on all other devices.
Star Chart is published by Escape Velocity Ltd and developed by Escapist Games Ltd. We update Star Chart regularly, so please send us your feedback and feature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And thanks for all your feedback so far!
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/starchart
Follow Star Chart on Twitter: StarChartApp
Releasing new versions every about 1 month, on average.
A few bug fixes:
A couple more iOS9 specific fixes:
Fixed crash on iPad when trying to access Settings (iOS9 only)
- bug fix for AR Mode not working when Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services>Compass Calibration is set to off. This prevents Star Chart from getting a reading for True North, and so now it falls back on using Magnetic North in this situation.
- Another attempted fix for the black-screen on relaunch bug. This bug has had us perplexed for a while - it seems to be un-reproducible in a development environment - but we won't rest until it's fixed! Hopefully this time we have it.
- Now includes a 64bit version, so should run even smoother on the latest devices.
- Fixed very slow sensor update speed on some devices, causing Star Chart to appear unresponsive.
- Substantially improved AR Mode to make it much more responsive!
- Major overhaul of the Star Chart user interface in order to ensure compatibility with the latest features and usability of iOS8
*** We are aware of a new bug in iOS8. It is being addressed ASAP, for more info: http://goo.gl/FiszOs ***
Many enhancements including:
As well as all the usual optimisations and bug fixes. Enjoy!
* Comet Lovejoy added to the Comets pack
- Improved underlying Search functions.
- Fixes crash on older devices
- Calendar (found in Search) lists upcoming astronomical events, as well as any missed notifications.
- Notifications set to trigger in the evenings local time - no more being woken up!
Various bug fixes and enhancements, including:
Updated ISS to use latest orbit data.
- Redesigned and updated User Interface
- Fixes a crash some users were experiencing when selecting meteor showers.
- Fixed issue when trying to perform a search in the Location screen when certain upgrades are purchased.
Two much-requested new upgrades available:
- Fixed potential crash bug when selecting certain constellations.
- Ability to select Constellations by tapping on their name
Star Chart is better than ever! In this update we've added:
* This version resets the preferences to the defaults in order to fix a bug - Set them back to how you like in Settings. *
This update is for general bug fixes and polish.
|Previous 3 versions|